“With Signs Following” An Abe Partidge Art Exhibition at the Alabama Contemporary Art Center in Mobile, AL (Sat. Jan. 21, 2023)
Photos by Stephen Anderson
Commentary by Johnny Cole
January has been quite a busy month for singer-songwriter and artist Abe Partridge of Mobile, Alabama. The month’s schedule of events included:
● The official release of his single “Alabama Astronauts” from his forthcoming album Love in the Dark (produced by Shawn Byrne). Also, in conjuction to new single, Partridge released a new video (filmed by Partridge Pictures) and a very special lyrical comic book designed by Third Eye Visions by Russ.
● A series of performances at the annual 30A Songwriters Festival in northwest Florida.
● The Floating Away watercolors art exhibit at the Rodning Art Gallery on the campus of the University of South Alabama.
● The With Signs Following art exhibition at Alabama Contemporary Art Center in Mobile, AL.
● A celebration for the release of latest Psych Peas’ album Lackluster at the Alabama Music Box, also in Mobile.
● And honestly, a whole lot more!
The following two pages of photos taken by Stephen “Andy” Anderson were from Partridge’s much-anticipated art exhibition, With Signs Following, based on his fascinating time researching the religious practice of snake or serpent handling. Partridge, the former Baptist minister who as a young man preached in Appalachia, decided to dedicate his time during the recent covid pandemic to research and witness for himself this religious practice. As an artist, he was inspired to use what he had observed as a theme for his latest project, one that many have been anticipating during these past few years.
The exhibition’s reception at the art center was well attended by many fans of Partridge’s art, music, and his successful podcast, Alabama Astronaut with Ferrell Gibbs. Also on display was the art of Pastor Jimmy Morrow, who sadly passed away in mid-January. Morrow is not only the preacher who influenced much of Partridge’s recent work featured at this event but an artist in his own right whose art is also featured at the With Signs Following exhibition.
Abe Partridge, The Southland Music Line’s 2018 Music Artist, has long been a friend of ours and the subject of numerous articles and photo collections. We wish Abe all the best with continued success.
Page Designed & Edited by Johnny Cole
© The Southland Music Line. 2023.
All rights reserved
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: We welcome requests for permission to use content from The Southland Music Line website and Facebook page. Any shared articles or photos may not be altered, edited nor cropped and must include the appropriate copyrights of The Southland Music Line.