( Photo by Stephen Anderson; Design by J. Cole)
Click Here for Previous Covers
Most Recent Articles:
- The Highly Anticipated Return of Kristin Diable to Callaghan’s in Mobile, AL
- Baldwin County Public Records Showcases Its Talent at The Frog at Blue Moon Farm
- The Southland Music Line 2015: Favorite Albums, Shows & Live Music Venues according to Johnny Cole, Stephen Anderson and Robby Amonett (also links to Johnny Cole’s Complete & Extended Lists)
- The Southland Music Line 2015 – Johnny Cole: A Year in Travelin’ and 300+ Shows
- The Southland Music Line 2015 – A Year in Review
- The Southland Music Line 2015 – Stephen Anderson: A Year in Photos
- The Southland Music Line 2015 – Robby Amonett: A Year in Music-Inspired Art
- Readers’ Choice Awards 2015
- The Mulligan Brothers – 2015 Music Artist of the Year
- Corey Rezner’s Gift for Song Translates Well on His Latest Album, “Mercy Mercy”
- James McMurtry Live at The Merry Widow in Mobile, Alabama
- Coastal Noise Goes Live at The Shed with Bluesman Wes Lee
- Baldwin County Public Records: An Indie Label With A Mission For Excellence
Spotlight Music of the Month
“Walking with a Stranger” – Escondido
February’s selection for Spotlight Music of the Month is the long-waited “Walking with a Stranger” by Escondido (available Feb. 5, 2016). This highly anticipated album is the follow up to their 2013 debut album, “Ghost of Escondido”, which was praised by fans and critics alike. The Southland Music Line’s Johnny Cole, like acclaimed film director David Lynch (Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Wild at Heart), considered it as his favorite album of 2013. He has frequently made mention of it and has spoken more of Escondido than he has of any of music artist in the last three or four years. The Line has traveled across the country to attend Escondido shows and has given away several Escondido CD’s to friends. Now that the wait is over, we are looking forward to seeing several shows and continuing to share with others the news about Escondido and their sensational music. We congratulate Escondido’s Tyler James and Jessica Maros on the new album and look forward to seeing them in 2016
Click Here to Purchase Their Music.
Last Month’s Spotlight Music
“National Treasure” – Anthony Crawford
“Single Mama” – Lauren Kay
2016 starts off with two brand new albums by two very talented musicians: “National Treasure” by Anthony Crawford (Sugarcane Jane, Willie Sugarcapps) and “Single Mama” by Lauren Kay (Produced by Crawford and recorded at his Admiral Bean Studios in Loxley, AL.)
The Southland Music Line has discussed Crawford’s successful career in great detail in several articles. Last year’s “Dirt Road’s End” by Sugarcane Jane received much praise and recognition from fans and critics alike. It was The Line’s Readers’ Choice Award for Album of the Year. His latest is the first solo album since 2009’s “Five is Red”. We can always expect great things from the musician who has previously recorded and toured with Neil Young, Steve Winwood, Dwight Yoakam, Sonny James and others, his latest (a songwriting collaboration with Charles Cort) continues the on going success of Anthony Crawford.
Lauren Kay signed with Baldwin County Public Records in 2015, following the release of her self-titled album, which featured some incredible songwriting backed by the talented Crawford. Only one year since the last album, Lauren continues her creative growth at the amazement of her fast growing fanbase.
This new year is sure to bring us some sensational music and these two releases are a great start!
Click Here for Spotlight Music of the Month Archives.
Long overdue, this month’s Music Fans of the Month are Ron Southward, Jr. and Neil Dancer. The two of them have spent years following some of music’s greatest (Neil Young) and have attended some of the best shows and events around the country (Farm Aid). They travel miles to see some of the best live music shows around, including The Frog Pond Sunday Socials at The Frog Pond at Blue Moon Farm in Silverhill, AL. Their loyal support of the music scene is admirable and appreciative. The Southland Music Line has attended several shows alongside Ron and Neil, some of the most memorable being Sugarcane Jane and Willie Sugarcapps. We are happy to name them as February 2016’s Music Fans of the Month.
Click Here Music Fan of the Month Archives
- welcome sign