“Me” at Tipitina’s in New Orleans enjoying soundcheck by one of my favorite bands of 2016 “Darcy Malone & The Tangle”. (Photo by Stephen “Andy” Anderson)
Once again, I attended the 30A Songwriters Festival in northwest Florida, South By Southwest in Austin (TX), the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, AthFest in Athens (GA), Americana Music Festival (in both Nashville and New York City), the Bogalusa Blues and Heritage Festival and several similar events.
During the fall of the year, I had the privilege of attending the highly promoted iconic music event “Desert Trip” in Indio, CA that featured Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, The Who, Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters. (An article appeared in The Southland Music Line in October of this year).
Several road trips and mini-tours led me around the country following musicians from all genres at multiple sized venues. (Read further for the link to my complete list of shows). It’s very difficult to list what I enjoyed most, though I attemped to be fair and honest on my annual year end list(s) of Favorite Shows and Albums.
Two standout albums for me in 2016 were the much anticipated second release by Escondido entitled “Walking with a Stranger” (their album “The Ghost of Escondido” topped my list in 2013) and the amazing solo release “National Treasure” from Anthony Crawford of the much loved duo of Sugarcane Jane and the successful Willie Sugarcapps.(Crawford has written a staggering list of songs and toured with such artists as Neil Young, Steve Winwood, Dwight Yoakam and Sonny James in a long and productive career).
Several standout shows quickly come to mind but due to the vast number that were, it’s mind-boggling when trying to narrow it down following multiple shows by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band who top 2016’s list.
Bruce Springsteen during one of his 4 hour marathon shows in fall of 2016. In early 2017, I will be following The Boss to Australia and New Zealand for 14 shows (J.Cole)
Even though several shows that made my year end list were by widely known artists, including 35 (or so) Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, there were several shows that were seen in more intimate venues by acclaimed up-and-coming stars like Dylan LeBlanc, Molly Thomas & The Rare Birds and Darcy Malone & The Tangle. The year end review wouldn’t be official without mentioning the all-star American Roots ensemble The Jericho Road Show – their show at Duling Hall in Jackson, MS was an enjoyable evening of music. In early December, the Kris Lager Band at The Listening Room also proved to be one of the best shows I attended in 2016.
*Joey Cook & The Partyraddlers (from New Orleans).
* Renshaw Davies (from New Orleans)
*Steve Griggs who released the sensational album “Fort Worth to Bakersfield” (from Dallas/Ft. Worth)
* and of course, several others.
.Johnny Cole visiting with Tyler James of Escondido prior to their show at Gasa Gasa in New Orleans. Escondido’s second album “Walking with a Stranger” topped Johnny’s list of albums for 2016. (Their debut album “The Ghost of Escondido” did the same in 2013).
See you in my travels.
CLICK HERE FOR MY COMPLETE LIST OF 300+ SHOWS ATTENDED IN 2016.
3. Blackstar – David Bowie
4. Full Circle – Loretta Lynn
5. Midwest Farmer’s Daughter – Margo Price
6. Gotta Get Home – Seth Walker
7. Far Cries and Close Calls – John Calvin Abney
8. Cautionary Tale – Dylan LeBlanc
9. Silver Tears – Aaron Lee Tasjan
10. Paradise Right Here – Willie Sugarcapps
1. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band “The Three Shows at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. (Sept. 23, 25 & 30) [tie] *Attended 9 Springsteen shows in 2016.
2. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band “The Two Shows at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA (Sept. 7 & 9) [tie]
3. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at Madison Square Gardens in NYC (Mon. Mar. 28)
4. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn, NY feat. Deep Purple, Steve Miller, NWA Chicago, Cheap Trick. Also: Rob Thomas, Sheryl Crow, Kendrick Lamar, Steve Van Zandt, Lars Ulrich of Metallica, Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney from the Black Keys, Grace Potter, Kid Rock, David Byrne, The Roots, and Kimbra. (Fri. Apr. 8)
5. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at Nationals Park in Washington, DC (Thur. Sept. 1); United Center in Chicago, IL (Sun. Sept. 28); Amphitheater in Virginia Beach, VA (Mon. Sept. 5 ) [tie]
6. The Desert Trip Night #2 Paul McCartney and Neil Young & Promise of A Real at Empire Polo Club in Indio, CA (Sat. Oct. 8)
7. Stevie Nicks and The Pretenders at Verizon Center in Washington, DC (Mon. Nov. 14)
8. Dylan LeBlanc with The Pollies & Courtney Blackwell at Callaghan’s in Mobile, AL (Mon. Sept. 26)
9. The Desert Trip Night #1 Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, CA (Sat. Oct. 7)
10. The Jericho Road Show at Duling Hall in Jackson, MS feat. Rambling Steve Gardner, Libby Rae Watson, Wes Lee & Bill Steber. The show was opened by Oh Jeremiah. (Tues. Mar. 1) *The Jericho Road Show is easily one of my favorite shows of 2016. Once again, I was privileged to see Wes Lee a number of times throughout the year.
.Click Here for My Complete List of Favorite Shows.
Johnny Cole attended the much publicized 2016 music event “Desert Trip” featuring Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, The Who and Pink Floyd’s Roger Water in Indio, CA (see list of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees seen in 2016)
Gary Tallent (*E Street Band) “Inducted in 2014” (10 times)
Steven Van Zandt (*E Street Band) “Inducted in 2014” (10)
Bruce Springsteen “Inducted in 1999” (9)
Bob Dylan “Inducted in 1988” (4)
Elvis Costello “Inducted as a member of Elvis Costello & The Attractions in 2003” (3)
Bonnie Raitt “Inducted in 2000” (2)
Cheap Trick “Inducted in 2016” (2)
Paul McCartney *Inducted twice (solo in 1999 and earlier with the Beatles in 1988) (2)
Steely Dan “Inducted in 2001” (2)
Bob Weir (*Grateful Dead – 1994) (2)
Phil Lesh (*Grateful Dead – 1994) (1)
Billy Joel “Inducted in 1999” (1)
Chicago “Inducted in 2016” (1)
David Byrne (*Talking Heads) “Inducted in 2002” (1)
Deep Purple “Inducted in 2016” (1)
Dr. John “Inducted in 2011” (1)
Guns ‘N Roses “Inducted in 2012” (1)
Heart “Inducted in 2013” (1)
Jackson Browne “Inducted in 2004” (1)
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts “Inducted in 2015” (1)
Joe Walsh (*The Eagles) “Inducted in 1998” (1)
Lars Ulrich (*Metallica) “Inducted in 2009” (1)
Mike Mills (*R.E.M.) “Inducted in 2007” (1)
Neil Young *Inducted twice (solo in 1995 and as a member of Buffalo Springfield in 1997)
NWA “Inducted in 2016” (1)
Pretenders “Inducted in 2005” (1)
Robert Plant (*Led Zeppelin) “Inducted in 1995” (1)
Roger Waters (*Pink Floyd) “Inducted in 1996” (1)
Rolling Stones “Inducted in 1989” (1)
Steve Miller “Inducted in 2016” (1)
Steve Winwood (*Traffic) “Inducted in 2004” (1)
Stevie Nicks (*Fleetwood Mac) “Inducted in 1998” (1)
Tom Petty (with Mudcrutch) “Inducted as a member of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in 2002” (1)
Van Morrison “Inducted in 1993” (1)
The Who “Inducted in 1990” (1)
.“Me” at Callaghan’s Irish Social Club in Mobile, AL. The friendly staff always has my iced-tea ready as soon as I arrive (see acknowledgements)
Some 2016 Acknowledgements:
> The friendly staff at Callaghan’s and Jack’s by the Tracks for always having my Iced-Tea or Coca-Cola ready as soon as I arrived. Great service! Awesome folks!
> To Everyone – It’s obvious I appreciate building on friendships.
Coastal Noise’s Stefan Lawson and “Me” in front of The Listening Room in Mobile, AL for a taping of an episode of “Music Scene”.
The Southland Music Line 2016 Year-End Articles:
(includes acknowledgements and links to full list of shows)
© The Southland Music Line. 2017. All rights reserved